7 Foods That Help Strengthen the Immune System
Maintaining a strong immune system is imperative, especially in this time of the coronavirus pandemic. A strong immune system helps you stay healthy and will defend you against viruses that cause colds and flu. The immune system is made up of organs, tissues, cells, and proteins that carry out bodily processes and will serve as your body’s first line of defense against pathogens that cause infection or disease.
Once the immune system is weakened, it will surely affect your health. It can lead you to suffer from one type of disease to another and you will recover much more slowly. But there are foods that can help strengthen the immune system. The following are 7 specific foods that you can include in your diet to boost your immune system:
- Turmeric. Turmeric is said to be the most effective nutritional supplement out there. It is a spice that has a yellowish color and many people use it for cooking and also for medicinal purposes. It has anti-inflammatory properties and a good source of powerful antioxidants.
- Red bell pepper. Red bell peppers contain, ounce for ounce, more vitamin C than oranges. It also has beta-carotene (a precursor to vitamin A that your body converts), which can help maintain good eyesight, healthy skin, and a strong immune system.
- Strawberry. Strawberries are an excellent source of vitamin C. Vitamin C is a powerful antioxidant that neutralizes harmful free radicals and therefore strengthens the immune system’s response to infection. It also has anti-cancer properties. Taking a serving of the fruit every day helps to strengthen your response against oxidation and inhibits tumor growth.
- Citrus fruits. Be it grapefruit, orange, lemon, lime, tangerine, or clementine, citrus fruits are known to be very rich in vitamin C. Vitamin C is responsible for the production of white blood cells, which play a vital role in fighting infections and other harmful organisms. A daily serving of any of these fruits can help strengthen your immune system.
- Garlic. Garlic is a powerful immunity booster. This spicy bulb often referred to by many as the stink rose, is great for keeping colds and flu viruses at bay. It contains over 200 compounds, but one of its compounds called “allicin” is one of the best immunity boosters you can find.
- Broccoli. This vegetable is rich in multivitamins, minerals, fiber, and antioxidants. It also has anti-cancer properties.The best way to get the maximum benefits from this vegetable is to eat it raw. But you can also cook it and add some flavors according to your taste.
- Blueberry. Blueberries are a rich source of antioxidants. One of its compounds is a flavonoid called “anthocyanin”, a very powerful antioxidant. Antioxidants help strengthen the immune system in addition to the many health benefits they can provide.